Monday, April 4, 2011

Why I Love New York City 2

New York is a kid friendly city. The whole city becomes their own playground. Countless parks offer sanctuary to both children and adults. My favorite park is the Riverside Park which is two blocks away.
It has an esplanade alongside the Hudson River and it is always a simple pleasure to take a stroll, skate, scoot, bike , run or just to sit and watch the boats go by. I prefer it to Central Park because of the river.
There is also a string of playing fields for playing team sports and tennis courts, running tracts and a marina. A bike lane runs through it all the way to Bowling Green.

School kids use the city as their open school. They are always on the go, field trips only a subway ride away, Artistic stimulation abounds wether it is music, dance, theater etc. Work as well is not alien to them.
They model, act, perform and attend auditions. They have lots of friends to hang out with , their social skills honed in the process. When I see a group of school kids, I see them laughing and just happy to be with each other. I am so glad my sons grew up in this city. Getting a driver's license at 16 was never an issue . As a result, one less worry for me thinking how they are doing on the road.

How do I love thee, New York? I love thee through my senses. My taste buds for one. With all the food
glorious food in the city, fresh, whole, exotic, strange delicacies available in plenty, I am in heaven.I know we are in the top of the food chain because of the hundreds of big trucks coming into the city everyday bearing produce from farms all over the world and locally as well, from the green markets, to the restaurant week, , food shows at the Javits, restaurants by the thousands, Chinatown, Zabar's, Fairway, Whole Foods,
it never stops. I just wish we had a 24 hour noodle shop or night markets like in Asia.

No comments:

Post a Comment